Wednesday 27 April 2011

Thank God for the computer virus...

I know it may sound strange but the title of this post is actually a shout of thanksgiving - not tongue-in-cheek. During my Easter holidays (right at the beginning, actually) my home laptop had a visit from an unwanted guest - the 'Windows' Security Centre virus. This virus is apparently hanging out in search engines and unbeknown to me my virus security had failed...but continued to look like it was working, strangely! So I was ripe for an invasion.

The virus is basically a scam virus which says that you have all sorts of trojans and virus' on your computer and that you need to buy an updated version of something or other in order to fight it. The truth is that the files that appear deleted are simply 'hidden' files and what this scam does is essentially gain access to your credit card details. Simple but very clever as it preys on fear.

Initally I was really worried about the lost files (until I did some research on the virus...knowledge is power!) and then I was just miffed. However, over the course of the two weeks that I did not have access to my computer I found freedom! I suddenly found that I had spare time to read and write and pray. The time that I would usually have spent on Facebook was becoming useful time to devote to more worthwhile enterprises.

This time also gave me cause to reflect on just how much I have come to rely on my laptop for ease and convenience when buying things or finding things out...as excellent as the internet is, I feel I have had my eyes opened as to how lazy I have become in some areas!

The time for reflection that I had now been afforded led me to consider virus' and attacks. I started to think about my life with God and how sometimes it is easy to feel like you have virus protection because you are a Christian - but it doesn't work like that. You can't say I am a Christian and leave it there - God calls us to a relationship with Him - it is ongoing...like my virus protection needs to be. It is easy to be laxidasical but should we be with our spiritual health? I don't want to be attacked spiritually...but I will be if I don't continue to renew myself in God's love, grace and strength.

So all in all, my loss of computer for two weeks has been the most fruitful bereavement I have had in a long time...I must remember the lessons I have learned so that I don't fall into the trap of 'contentent'...or should that read laziness!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment